Sorry for the delay in my reply... busy day.

I tried Kris' version (perhaps modified) which highlights the userid and
node name, but found it distracting.  It seemed the grab my already
limited attention from important messages on the screen.

So here's the version I've been using for years.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

/* Prolog; See Epilog for additional information ********************
 * Exec Name     - REREADY EXEC                                     *
 * Unit Support  - I.S.                                             *
 * Status        - Version 1, Release 1.0                           *
 ********************************************************************/

Address Command

Parse Arg new_ready

If new_ready = '' Then new_ready = lower(userid())
Else If Length(new_ready) > 40 Then Do
        Say 'New Ready message being truncated to 40 characters.'
        Parse Var new_ready 1 new_ready 41 .
     End

repos_fn = time()

"PIPE",
   "Literal 8116"||copies(" ",7)||new_ready,
      "|Literal & 3",
      "|Pad 80",
      "|>" repos_fn "REPOS A3 F 80"

"GENMSG" repos_fn "REPOS A3 DMS ( NOLIST"

If rc = 0 Then Do
   "RENAME" repos_fn "TEXT A DMSUME = A3"
   "SET LANGUAGE ( ADD DMS USER"
End /* if */
Else Say 'GENMSG Error:' rc'.'

Exit

lower:
   Procedure
   locase = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz'
   hicase = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
Return(translate(arg(1),locase,hicase))

/* Epilog ***********************************************************
 * Function      - Change CMS 'Ready' message to userid or character*
 *                 string supplied with the command.                *
 * Component of  - CMS at Hewitt Associates.                        *
 * Command format- REREADY string|null                              *
 * Called by     - User or EXEC                                     *
 * Dependencies  - CMS PIPELINES.                                   *
 * Program Lang. - CMS REXX and PIPEs                               *
 * Date Written  - 03/04/94                                         *
 * Author        - Terrence Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     *
 * Changed | By  | Description of Change                            *
 * --------+-----+------------------------------------------------- *
 * 11/04/99  mrw - Update 'author' with proper information.         *
 ********************************************************************/

"Buettner, Wolfgang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/26/2008 03:16 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Modifying the CMS Ready Message

Mike's respond to "DASD VOLUME SIZES" below pointed me to the obviously
modified Ready Messages.
What idea is behind and how is it implemented?

Thank you,
Wolfgang Buettner

Software AG - Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstra?e 12, 64297 Darmstadt,
Germany, - Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 -
Vorstand/ Management Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich (Vorsitzender/Chairman),
David Broadbent, Mark Edwards, Dr. Peter Kurpick,Arnd Zinnhardt; -
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/ Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Frank F.
Beelitz - http://www.softwareag.com