It all started with IPF, the "thing" that was added in the VM/SP days, where
you could order a naked VM, or a VM SIPO (System Installation Productivity
Option ?), that had IPF as prereq, and you got quite some pre-installed
stuff.  Remember VMUTIL,DISKACNT, & friends these servers ware new than,
WAKEUP was the heart of VMUTIL, and ACCOUNT was used by DISKACNT.  Other
tools where born then too: DIRMAP, SADT, DEVTYPE, FLIST, BROWSE, all part of
IPF.
With IPF came also panels, this section of IPF became a bit later ISPF.  The
IPF panels gave VM a look like TSO has now, one could indeed enter things
like  1.2.3 to end up in e.g. FLIST, or x.y.z to XEDIT something...
VM's command base is too easy, and customers didn't use these IPF panels.  I
guess that with VM/ESA IPF died, no more panels, but also no more a
pre-installed VMUTIL/DISKACNT/SYSWATCH/....  The modules became CUF (CMS
Utilities Feature), a billabe VM/ESA feature.  Later the CUF stuff became
part of the VM base, I guess with the arrival of z/VM, an incompatible
change: CUF got installed on the Y-disk; in z/VM some landed on the S-disk,
others on MAINT 193.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support