From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:05 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: AUTOLOG

Terry,

1) CP SET SRM commands require privclass 'A' (or a privclass for those
commands that you added another privclass via CP MODIFY COMMAND).
   --->>Does AUTOLOG2 have that priv? <<---
2) Why not just have AUTOLOG1 or OPERATOR issue performance commands,
thereby letting your External Security Manager benefit from their
performance change?  If OPERATOR does it, you may want to place those
"special commands" on OPERATOR 192 or some other disk that the OPERATOR
userid cannot LINK R/W.
3) Performance command changes before/after are good to see on the
OPERATOR console log.  I placed all ours in a single command called
"PERFCMDS EXEC" (actually, "PERFCMDS VMOPER", since OPERATOR runs them
after VM:Operator has its own console log started).  PERFCMDS provides
documentation on OPERATOR of what the setting was before, and of the
actual command.

Here's a cut/paste, modified (but not tested) to run on OPERATOR (change

as needed to run from elsewhere):

---<snip>---
/* PERFCMDS EXEC */
/* set recommended performance metrics for zLinux */
/* Call PerfCmd 'command , settings' */
/*         (the 'command' part is used by CP QUERY and CP SET,
'settings'
only by CP SET) */

   Call PerfCmd 'SRM STORBUF , 300 250 200'
   Call PerfCmd 'SRM LDBUF , 100 100 100'

/* set Delay for Linux Guest Shutdown */
   Call PerfCmd 'SIGNAL SHUTDOWN , 180'  /* Allow Linux Guests 3 mins to

shutdown*/
   Call PerfCmd 'MDC , STOR 0M 256M'
   Call PerfCmd 'MDC , XSTOR 0M 0M'      /* Will cause repeat QUERY MDC
*/

Exit rc

PerfCmd:
   parse arg cmd ',' settings
   parse var cmd w1 w2 w3 .
   say 'CP QUERY' cmd                    /* Document "before" setting */
       'CP QUERY' cmd
   say 'CP SET  ' cmd settings
       'CP SET  ' cmd settings
trace o
Return
---<snip>---

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
10/02/2008 02:33 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
AUTOLOG

Hi

I am setting some parameters in my AUTOLOG2 PROFILE EXEC, but they do
not
seem to be taking affect. Is there something else I am missing?

The ?CP XAUTLOG xxxxxxx? seems to be working fine but commands such as
the
following do not take affect:

/* set recommended performance metrics for zLinux */
'CP SET SRM STORBUF 300 250 200'
'CP SET LDBUF 100 100 100'
/* set Delay for Linux Guest Shutdown */
'CP SET SIGNAL SHUTDOWN 180'  /* Allow Linux Guests 3 mins to shutdown*/
'CP SET MDC STOR 0M 256M'
'CP SET MDC XSTOR 0M 0M'

To test these I issue the xautolog autolog2 command from MAINT after I
have LINKED to AUTOLOG2.

Thank You,

Terry Martin
Lockheed Martin - Information Technology
z/OS & z/VM Systems - Performance and Tuning
Cell - 443 632-4191
Work - 410 786-0386
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately
alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including
any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the
contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address
may be monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to
ensure compliance with our internal policies and to protect our
business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error
free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain
viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.