We run z/Linux under z/VM in one LPAR and several z/OS LPARs.  All access

is via TN3270 sessions.  While the operators have consoles for each z/OS

image and several other sessions to various z/OS LPARs, their z/VM sessio
normally sits at the VM logo.  The OPERATOR userid runs disconnected and

the operations staff use other userids that have been set up for them
(e.g. OP2, OP3) when they need to run VM backups or shutdown the system.

Other than that they don't have any real need to interact with VM and
nothing useful for them to monitor from VM.  Monitoring the status of the

applications running in a z/Linux guest is done by using the applications

from the normal end user perspective via a standard browser.

YMMV.

Brian Nielsen

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:19:34 -0400, Bauer, Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We are an MVS shop setting up a Linux under VM pilot and need to have

some procedures in place for operations. We are trying to figure out
how/where we want the operators to have console access. Right now only th
sys. progs. have any access to VM and we use a telnet session from our

desks to a VM user id or use the HMC. Is there a master console we can

setup for operations like MVS? Should we setup a userid for the operators
?
Make them use the HMC?