From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Colin Allinson
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 11:30 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM 5.4.0 - SHUTDOWN HANGS

Raymond Noal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :-
> SHUTDOWN processing starts and the last line displayed is for DISABLE
ALL DEVICES.
We have had a problem with various versions of z/VM 5.x (we are on 5.4
currently) where the DISABLE ALL DEVICES took an extremely long time on
a 1st level system. When I say long, I mean looonnngggg (sometimes up to
45 minutes). We pinned the problem down to 2 boxes of 4096 non-IBM
(SUN/STK) DASD that was giving different exception responses at this
stage. There was disagreement because Sun/STK said they were doing it by
the spec while IBM said differently. I would have to look up the details
but we got a fix from IBM to exclude this range of DASD from exception
processing during SHUTDOWN and we are now fine.
Not sure if this is any help.

Colin Allinson

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH