I think that minute-by-minute usage of main memory could be accounted
for in the same manor as CPU can be done if you start with the MONITOR
data instead of the ACCOUNTING data. I think the current ACCOUNTING data
is insufficient for a good chargeback system. Although with today's
LINUX workloads with each linux system wanting to use ALL of its memory
definition, you could charge for the definition of memory because that
is the potential for impact on the system in main memory use and paging
area requirements. So add something to your accounting to indicate that
one day a linux system used 3/4 GB memory definition, and 1 GB the next
day and two weeks later they wanted more and got bumped up to 1 1/2 GB,
etc. Charge them at each increment. In the same vein, you should not
charge a user for how much of a minidisk they really use, charge them
for the whole allocation and for changes in the allocation. Although
these 'allocation' charges do not reflect true usage, they do account
for a level of system management that is required to maintain the system
for the user and therefore are valid for charging.

/Tom Kern