From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Howard Rifkind
Sent: Tue 10/21/2008 8:33 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] Very Slow Linux Running Second Level z/VM

Hello all,

We are testing at our D/R site.

We are running our z/VM under the D/R sites z/VM.

z/VM, both first and second level running like gang busters along with one z/OS
and VSE guest, plus other minor z/VM user ids.

Processor is a z9 and the lpars are all weighted equally.  At present we have 3
processors dedicated to us and no one else is using the z9 and Linux is running
in our z/VM.

There isn't any paging at first level and almost no paging at second level yet
when we bring up one Linux guest it is very very slow and nothing is showing up
in any of the monitoring tools.

We aren't running in an IFL, no IFL's on this z9.

It also seems that the only portion of this is that is really very slow is the
JVM linux machines or JVM within Linux is what is killing us. (hope I defined
the question correctly)

Any suggestions were to look and what we can try to impove the situation would
be appreciated.

Thanks