From: The IBM z/VM Operating System on behalf of Scott Rohling
Sent: Wed 10/29/2008 8:17 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Recycle yourself

Is there a 'native' way to have your guest brought down and autologged?  I
suppose I'm looking for a CP command which instead of allowing the guest to
say..  IPL - actually signals it off (respecting signal times) and brings it
immediately back.   This would be nice for Linux guests -- say their
directory is updated to allow more memory ...   if they could issue 'vmcp
recycle' at their convenience - it could be very handy.

I know can I can have a CMS guest sit there - wait for a msg/smsg - and do
it fairly easily..  The Linux guest would issue "msg recyclvm recycle" for
example.    The recycle routine on recyclvm would issue the signal shutdown
-- wait for the guest to go down - and then immediately xautolog it.

Just looking for ideas..    thanks!

Scott Rohling