The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
10/29/2008 11:01:17 PM:
> Pipelines can connect to *VMEVENT, but a better option would be to use
> the support in VM operations manager to do it and have it manage the
> whole thing.  But, if you have the operations manager, you could just
> have it watch the console for a certain message to appear (Linux
> executed echo "$$$RECYCLE ME$$$" > /dev/console) and then just do the
> shutdown and restart in an action routine...
>
> Bruce Hayden
> Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support
> IBM, Endicott, NY

I've already automated something similar here and run into one snag.  The
logoff event (and indeed the operator message that the userid is logged
off) preceeds its really being gone from the system.  When I attempted to
drive an XAUTOLOG... action directly from the logoff event, I consistently
received a logoff/force pending response.  I instead had to implement an
exec which looped on the error response, pausing before retrying.  I
considered opening a PMR, but have MY solution already in place.