From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Colin Allinson
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:08 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TCPIP for z/VM 5.4

Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :-

> ......... I don't like doing "big bang" conversions.  I would like
> to be able to move the 5.4 level of CP from my 2nd level install
system
> to my test lpar and then move the 5.4 level of CMS and then the 5.4
> level of TCP/IP and some other things. ............

Jim,

We, like you, do not do 'big bang' conversions.

We have upgraded CP to 5.4 on all systems but we still have our main
system running everything else (CMS, TCPIP etc.) at 5.3 level.

We go to a certain amount of effort to ensure that we can run multiple
CMS levels in parallel and swap between them - so the next thing to do
is make CMS 24 available (but not the default).

The next thing we do is uplevel TCPIP (and make sure it is running the
corresponding level of CMS). At the same time we make sure we have the
right level of TCPIP utilities available on our X(319) disk. If we fall
back TCPIP then we must fall these back as well. At this stage most
users are still running CMS23.

The next stage is to get some users to swap to CMS24 (using our SWAPCMS
utility) - or configure them as CMS24 by default.

This is the process we always use and this is where we are right now on
all but one system (on that we have not upgraded TCPIP yet). It has
never given us any problems.

Colin Allinson

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH