On Thursday, 10/30/2008 at 10:13 EDT, Edward M Martin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>      But I thought that TCP/IP and CMS were tied to each other level
wise.
> They work on different levels but there could be inconsistencies.

You are correct.  A particular release may include a TCP/IP change that
depends on a new CMS function that depends on a new CP function. Sometimes
yes, sometimes no.  If a service that TCP/IP or one of its servers needs
isn't present in CP and/or CMS, that app will typically stop.  We try to
do it gracefully and it is our general rule to check for the availability
of a new service when the server starts - not waiting until it is actually
needed.  This way the error appears right away.

If you don't do a big bang:
1. Upgrade CP
2. Upgrade CMS
3. Upgrade TCP/IP with all of its attendent servers

What is underneath needs to be newer than what rides on top.  We do our
best to make this work if it's reasonable to do so, but there are limits.
E.g. When the SSL support for z/VM 5.4 ships later this year, it will not
work with an old stack and the new stack will not work with the old SSL
server.  The expense of making it work was prohibitive.

Within reason we'll support a mixed configuration while you are migrating.