Firstly if you have multiple access software like Citrix where several users
share the same copy of word, in general you need a license for each user.
Its generally only one per concurrent user , but its still one per user. In
fact the cost of licenses make Citrix some what expensive. You can buy a new
IBM desktop PC, including a VISTA license (without monitor) for around a 1/3
more than a Citrix license. Given the cost of the citrix server the saving
in capital is minimal. Of course you save in other costs, but when one of
the Citrix boxes goes crank it hits many more users. Also Citrix does not
cope well with demanding applications such AutoCad...

In the VMWARE deployments we are looking at performance is is not a key
factor. We have a large number of "small" servers that have a high waste
factor. So typically these days each server will contain 2x72 gig drives
(these are the smallest IBM will sell us) a 4 core CPU and 4 gigs of RAM.
The server will be under used, but it will be kept serarate perhaps because
the vendor product requires a specific version of JAVA, TOMCAT, Apache,
MySQL or ORACLE, or for securty and audit. e.g. to limit access to a
particular external supplier.

Even if you can put four of these servers on a single VMWARE box then you
have a significant reduction in waste, and VMWARE will allow you to migrate
this workload without even letting the apps guys know what you are doing.

Note zVM isn't currently an Option as we are firmly MS Windows, and as small
VM/VSE site who has been neglected for years by IBM Mainframe folks turning
this around would be hard. I guess if we invest seriusly in VMWARE it will
by the IBM x Series supply chain that will be hit.