I don't think so Gary. Look at the pure cost of processing resources. A typical IFL today has what, 500 or so MIPs at a miniumum? That isn't going to emulate a typical bloated X86 system all that fast, even given the processing map within virtual machines.

At least in general, it is difficult and expensive to match the pure processing power of modern x86 systems, even on modern mainframes.

Also, I have doubts that z/VM would do a much better job virtualizing x86 machines than VMWare does. The x86 architechture is just - wierd. :)

-Paul