I don't know much about LINUX, but if it has a TCP/IP stack running, how about
just a simple PING from a CMS to the LINUX?

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Scott
Rohling
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 9:55 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Verify from z/VM that a Linux guest is up

Well - somewhere in /etc/rc3.d you could put a script that issues 'vmcp wng
operator I am up and running!' (or wng to whatever userid will be bringing them
up and watching)...     hopefully, vmcp is loaded at that point..

Other than capturing console messages, there is no way to know that Linux is up
and running unless you get Linux to tell you it is..

I suppose one more way would be to telnet (on VM)  to the Linux ip address
using port 22 -- until you get a response ..  but not sure how I'd code that
without playing with it more.

Scott Rohling

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR) < [EMAIL