Two CP's, no IFLs.  The CMS virtual machines worked fine.  It wasn't
until IPLing the TPF guests that we discovered the issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bruce Hayden
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:48 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM processor mode

z/VM 5.3 will IPL in a "z/VM mode" LPAR on a z10, but it will only use
1 type of the CPUs.  In my experience I had both CPs and IFLs defined
to the partition, but 5.3 would only use the CPs.  It could see that
the IFLs were there, but they could not be varied online.  What kind
of CPUs were defined to your z/VM mode LPAR?  Maybe it only had IFLs?
But the real answer is to not use z/VM mode unless you're on 5.4.

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support