Each night an automated process here uses DIRECTXA to write a current copy
of the USER DIRECT file (extracted fresh from VM:Secure, and with an
"adjusted" DIRECTORY statement) to a DASD different than the production
sysres.

It would only be used in a wildly unexpected disaster.  We already have a
standand-alone minimal z/VM 'rescue system' I called the "VM Operating S
ystem Hipervisor Tool", naturally residing on it's own mnemonically
labeled sysres: VMOSHT

Those, and various other recovery bits and pieces help me sleep better. At
night of course, never during the day!

It's simply a matter of remembering where all the bits and pieces are
should something goes bump (or scraaaaaaaaaaaaatttttch) in the night that
makes it more difficult to sleep.  But I've never needed them... so THERE!
 One usually only need recovery tools when one didn't create them. Prepare
for the worst, enjoy the best (z/VM)!

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Tom Duerbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
11/18/2008 04:26 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Alt DRCT area

In the old days, an alternate directory area, was always built on another
drive.

It was fairly easy.

On another CPOWNed pack, use CPFMTXA to format a few cylinders and mark it
as directory area.
When you do a DIRECTXA, it reads the directory record:  DIRECTORY 123 3390
520RES
and put the directory on virtual address 123 volume 520RES.

Use rexx or something to update that record to 124 and 520W01 (for
example) and do the DIRECTXA again.

I don't know how to do it nowadays, but when we IPL'ed, we had a option to
say what pack the CP System areas were on.  Come to think of it, that was
in the DMKSYS days....VM/SP.  wow!

My guess, is that you would need to put a CP Minidisk (such as CF3), on
the same pack as your direct area, and IPL from that pack (when
necessary).  But I'm just guessing...

So, in your method of putting another DRCT area on a pack, how would you
ever use it?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/18/2008 4:13 PM >>>
On Tuesday, 11/18/2008 at 09:46 EST, Aisik Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I defined DRCT area on one of CP owned pack, How do I make this
alternate DRCT
> avaialble ?

By the way, even though you can bring any directory online while the
system is up, remember that the system will search for the first DRCT
extents it can find at IPL (see the CP Planning book), which may not be
the directory space you activated with DIRECTXA.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.