From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chip Davis
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:36 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX DATE function

One man's "fussy" is another man's "rigorous" or "consistent" ... :-)

It was designed that way because the default output format returns the
month in
mixed case. It was felt that reciprocality demanded that the Date() BIF
accept a
date in the same form that it returned it, as long as it was unambiguous
or, in
the case of 2-digit years, windowable.  Once you open the door to
variants,
things get messy, e.g. should "12Oct2008" be allowed?

Remember, Rexx is case-sensitive when it regards data; it is
case-insensitive
only when it comes to how the Rexx code itself is written.

Would you expect that "WordPos('OCT','Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec')" would
return a
"4" or a "0"?

-Chip Davis-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]