On Monday, 11/24/2008 at 06:33 EST, "Hughes, Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I have a question regarding the translation of the left and right square

> brackets.  Files we created under Z/VM 5.2 using the square brackets are

> displaying incorrectly.

By "created" do you mean with XEDIT?  Or via application?  Or via upload?

> Should ascii x?5B? translate to EBCDIC x?AD??
> Should ascii x?5D? translate to EBCDIC x?BD??
>
> The green/yellow card has the translations being
> Ascii x?5B? to EBCDIC x?AD? and Ascii x?5D? to EBCDIC x?BD?.

The summary card does not define any translations.  Depending on the age
of the card it will show you some specific code page assignments.

> After upgrading to Z/VM 5.4, We are seeing
> Ascii x?5B? -> EBCDIC x?BA?
> Ascii x?5D? -> EBCDIC x?BB?

> What is the recommended telnet translation table we should be using?

"Not applicable".   Translation tables are not used for TN3270 since the
emulator actually sends EBCDIC 3270 data streams.  This is why you can
configure your host code page in the emulator.  It translates the ASCII
characters you type into EBCDIC locally.  So if you're seeing the wrong
things when you XEDIT a file, it's because the host code page of the
emulator when the data was entered via XEDIT is different than the one
you're using.

You can find the definition of each code page at
http://www.ibm.com/software/globalization/cp/cp_cpgid.jsp.  The xxxxyyyy
translation tables included with z/VM are designed to translate between
the codepage xxxx on VM and yyyy at the remote end, as represented at this
website.

> Was there a change in the default translation table between 5.2 and 5.4?

No, but this isn't the problem in this case (assuming you created the file
with XEDIT).

> Could we have changed the default translation table and not leave
tracks?

Yes.  All it takes is copying one of the translation tables over as
STANDARD.  It gets more interesting if you just copied TCPXLBIN and not
the TCPXLATE source.

The following applies to non-TN3270 apps (including linemode telnet):

The "best" translation table z/VM provides is 09240923.  This is ISO
8850-15, both ASCII and EBCDIC.  But the best table and best table for you
to use are two different things, depending entirely on the applications
and how you have the data stored.  It is vital to choose translation
tables that reflect the data.

If the data was entered at a 3270 terminal with a code page of 37
(US/Canada), then you want one of the 0037xxxx translation tables.  xxxx
depends on whether you transferring data to DOS, OS/2, Windows, or Unix.
Western Windows uses 1252, Unix uses 819 (ISO 8859-1) or a euro-enabled
variant such as 923 (ISO 8859-15), PC DOS is code page 437, OS/2 is code
page 850.

I have my emulator set to use code page 924 and I use Windows, so my best
translation table is 09241252.

You can find custom translation tables I have built for people over years
at http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/altmarka/tcpxlate.html.