On Monday, 11/24/2008 at 11:32 EST, Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> OTOH, completely outside the box, you could write a CMS that would allow
one of
> the authorized users, from their ID to contact (maybe SMSG) a server
that has
> access to the USER DIRECT,  check that the target userid  is not already
logged
> on, change one of the LOGONBY IDs in the USER DIRECT to their userid,
run
> DIRECTXA, then CP MSG them to go ahead with LOGONBY.
>
> It could be made more complex (change MAINT 2CC MDISK to RR, have the
server
> dynamically LINK/DET the MAINT 2CC as needed, etc.), but that's a start.
 Much
> more cumbersome, and less sophisticated than a ISV's ESM, but much less
> expensive, too.

You get what you pay for.  Given that the system in question:
- Has no requirement for encrypted passwords
- Has no requirement to change the password on a specified interval
- Has no quality checks on the password
- Has no audit requirement,
I don't think I'd worry *too* much about LOGON BY.   (If they have 16
people needing to share the logon, something is probably wrong.)