On 11/25/08 5:19 PM, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It worked in WWII, but I would be willing to bet that the Soviet Union
> and perhaps other countries had/have people trained in Navajo in their
> intelligence organizations. It probably would not work again.

One of my acquaintances went through the Foreign Intelligence Language
Institute in Monterey during a past life and had to learn some *really*
obscure Native American and Inuit dialects, most of which have less than 100
living speakers. Wouldn't say what they were for, but some of the Inuit ones
are *really* hard to distinguish words, let alone catch meaning.

So, somebody in the Foreign Service Office still believes...8-)