On 11/24/08 12:33 PM, "Alan Altmark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For the last few years I've been saying that we are moving forward with
> MORE reliance on SFS to solve problems for us that we otherwise have to
> write code to deal with.  If I could easily get the TCP/IP suite to be
> able to use SFS for the 198 and 191, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think mostly we (and other voices in the community) been pretty consistent
in pushing back on that. IF/when you can provide a simpler method of
configuring a SFS pool, then it makes sense to pursue more extensive use of
SFS. Until that happens, it's a serious barrier to getting started with the
base system, and a serious problem to getting utilities that use SFS
installed. Installing stuff in VMSYS is generally not such a hot idea for
migration purposes, but there's not a lot of alternatives for the
less-skilled.

Pie in the sky: a MKPOOL tool that created the user directory entry and
wrote the files necessary for the A disk for the filepool userid. Similar
tools for changing and removing filepools. That would alleviate a lot of my
problems with the SFS-uber-alles approach.

You could also get that hard-coded VMSYS reference out of the DFSMS install,
but I digress. 8-)

>> Would also make sense. As I said, just a guess on my part. I don't claim
>> to know the Mind of Alan.
> It may seem like it from time to time, judging by some e-mail he gets and
> posts here, but Alan is not attached to a wish-granting machine.  ;-)

<rippling music>

Boy: Your applications -- they're so good!

Alan: Many people compare me to my younger development team, in Endicott.
      In fact, I just use z/VM (t m), the virtualization environment that
treats my applications with a soft gentle touch....

(apologies to the youngsters who don't remember the old Palmolive ad, or
have never seen Kentucky Fried Movie...8-))

> Rather, there is a team of fine people who breathe life into VM, doing
> planning, architecture, design, code, test, documentation, delivery, and
> service.  I can tell you that they aren't interested in doing unnecessary
> work; they don't have time.  If an existing VM facility provides what they
> need, they are encouraged to use it.
> Let me take this opportunity, in fact, to publicly thank the rest of the
> z/VM development team, spread across the globe, for their support of my
> "ombudsmanship".  Their efforts make me look good.  :-)

Indeed. Hear hear.