What's wrong with the use of LDAP?  It is included free of charge in z/VM.
Part of LDAP on z/VM and z/OS can be seen as a means to make the RACF
database content available to LDAP clients.  Example:
 ldapsrch -h 127.0.0.1 -D racfid=U80027,profiletype=user,cn=RACFVM -w
U80027PW
   -L -b "racfid=U80027,profiletype=user,cn=RACFVM" "objectclass=*"
yields
 dn: racfid=U80027,profiletype=USER,cn=RACFVM
 racfid: U80027
 racfauthorizationdate: 09/26/08
 racfowner: RACFID=SYS1,PROFILETYPE=GROUP,CN=RACFVM
 racfpasswordinterval: 30
 racfpasswordchangedate: 10/01/08
 racfprogrammername: KRIS BUELENS
 racfdefaultgroup: RACFID=SYS1,PROFILETYPE=GROUP,CN=RACFVM
 racflastaccess: 10/01/08/13:49:36
 racflogondays: SUNDAY
 racflogondays: MONDAY

--