Hi Alan,

I completely agree with everything you said.  One of the things that
drives me nuts is that FTP has been labeled as being "bad", so it has to
be encrypted.  Meanwhile just about ANY other file transfer protocol
doesn't (shared Windows network drives, Samba, NJE spooling, 3270
transfers using IND$FILE, etc. etc.).  If we were using just about ANY
other protocol we wouldn't even have to deal with this.

SSL/TLS is working perfectly (and yes, it took a little work, but once
you get it set up correctly you really don't have to worry about it -
unless you are using certificates with short lives and plan on
constantly updating them).  I think we're just going to have to dig in
our heels and say "Sorry, if you want to FTP to/from our VM/CMS system
you MUST support SSL/TLS".

PS:  Thanks to Ray Mrohs for the lead on MOVEit, which COULD be used as
an intermediate server to accept SSH and retransmit using SSL/TLS:

http://www.stdnet.com/products/?category_number=3&subcategory_number=1

Unfortunately this would introduce tremendous overhead, delivery delays
(many of our files are >2GB each) and programming changes that don't
make it a good candidate for us (but it might be useful for others who
find themselves in a similar situation where SSH has been mandated for
use, despite the fact that SSL/TLS is the supported process for VM/CMS).

-Mike