From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Ackerman
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 22:59
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: CTC connections between VMs

I think you're confusing him. He was asking about GRS. There are 3 differ=
ent ways to share DASD
R/W in MVS:

1. Reserve/Release
2. GRS ring
3. A parallel sysplex

If all your MVS (z/OS) systems are guests of one z/VM system, then VM pro=
vides

1. Virtual Reserve/Release
2. Virtual CTCs
3. Virtual Parallel Sysplex

Real & Virtual Reserve/Release share the performance problem that loc=
king is at the full pack
level.  A GRS ring performs better, and parallel sysplex performs even be=
tter.

You didn't say you wanted to share with a non-guest z/OS system. If you w=
ant to do that:

1. You can have both real and virtual reserve/release
2. I don't know if a GRS ring can include guests with real z/OS systems o=
r not.
3. A virtual sysplex CANNOT be extended to real z/OS system or to a real =
parallel sysplex.

I'd almost forgotten about GRS, as we have gone entirely to parallel sysp=
lex. I don't know if it can
support all those different releases of z/OS or not. I don't even know if=
 GRS is still supported at
all.

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com