From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Charles Brosemer
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 9:58 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: [IBMVM] VSWITCH LINUX Connection Problem

We are getting a connection problem with our first LINUX guest on z/VM 5.3. I
am new to z/VM and do not know networking. I created a TCP/IP stack that
appears to be working through an OSA card (9F00). We were able to FTP the SUSE
Linux install. I created a Virtual Switch that uses another OSA device (9E00).
When we start up the Linux virtual machine, it apears to connect to the Virtual
Switch. When I do a "q vswitch details", I see a line like the following.

Adapter Connections:
 Adaptor Owner : NOVSTART NIC: 0600 Name: UNASSIGNED

We are not able to ping outside the Linux virtual machine or connect to the
virtual machine. I am including an "ifconfig -a" and "q vswitch details"
command output (without the Linux virtual machine being active) .  I do not
know what to do next to resolve the problem. Any help from the list would be
appreciated.

ifconfig -a
DMSACC724I 191 replaces A (191)
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 12:46:21
ETH0     inet addr: 172.19.110.100 mask: 255.255.0.0
         UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 1500
         vdev: 9F00 rdev: 9F00 type: QDIO ETHERNET portname: UNASSIGNED
         ipv4 router type: NONROUTER ipv6: DISABLED
         cpu: 0 forwarding: ENABLED
         RX bytes: 3642430945 TX bytes: 91662059
Ready; T=0.01/0.02 12:46:21

q vswitch details
VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWITCH1 Type: VSWITCH Connected: 0    Maxconn: INFINITE
  PERSISTENT  RESTRICTED    NONROUTER                 Accounting: OFF
  VLAN Unaware
  MAC address: 02-00-00-00-00-01
  State: Ready
  IPTimeout: 5         QueueStorage: 8
  RDEV: 9E00 VDEV: 9E00 Controller: DTCVSW1
    VSWITCH Connection:
      MAC address: 00-11-25-BD-A6-A0
      RX Packets: 0          Discarded: 0          Errors: 0
      TX Packets: 0          Discarded: 0          Errors: 0
      RX Bytes: 0                    TX Bytes: 0
      Device: 9E02  Unit: 002   Role: DATA       Port: 0001  Index: 0001
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 12:51:13