On Thursday, 01/15/2009 at 12:13 EST, Marcy Cortes
<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> Seems that with modern DASD, one never gets a volume failure anymore.
You
> either lose nothing or you lose the whole darn subsystem or big chunk of
it.
> Put it on a different box :)  Or use PPRC to a different box if it
really is
> that critical.  If not, take regular, frequent backups to tape.

Yes, by "h/w failure" I don't really mean a rotating spindle.  RAID
technologies pretty much guarantee protection from a a single- or
double-drive/media failure.  (You actually have to use it, though!)  The
more likely failures are in the infrastructure or the associated wetware.

If you have GDPS available to you, it can transparently protect the RACF
database volume, obviating the requirement for a backup database.  That
said, I don't know that the RACF database setup utilities handle placing
both databases on the same volume.