On Thursday, 01/15/2009 at 01:02 EST, Greg Dyrda
<gregory.l.dy...@us.hsbc.com> wrote:
> I came across the following explanation from IBM when setting up out
RACF.
> Looks like you could use mdisks if only VM shares the database, but you
> still have to waste the rest of the space on the volumes.

You MUST use full-pack mdisks (preferred) or dedicated volumes whenever
you share with another z/OS or z/VM system that is running in a separate
LPAR.  If all users are on the same VM system (e.g. first level RACF/VM
sharing with second-level z/OS), then small minidisks can be used.

We have solutions on the drawing board, with the premise that shared dasd
is not a viable long-term strategy for database synchronization.