Thanks, Mike...should I IPL in single user mode to do your suggested
steps below?

Alyce

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael MacIsaac
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 1:47 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES10 IPL...

Alyce,

> I found the procedure to enter single user mode in the Virtualization
Cookbook for SLES 10 SPs2
>  (Oct 2008) on page 194 to recover the root password  by entering the
following command at IPL:

> #cp vi vmsg 0 1....
>
> However, when I get to the end of the procedure, it asks for the root
password...

Yes, we say in the preamble "Single user mode is helpful when you need
to recover the root password".
Then we show in the example:
  Give root password for login:
  lnx4vm

Well clearly the uability testers did not complete this section
thoroughly (and neither did the author )):

So, how about this approach (can't remember if this is right for SLES 10
SP2 - it seems to change sometimes)
-) Shut down whatever is running on the user ID
-) IPL and install system (SLES10S2 EXEC on my system)
-) Get an SSH session before starting the graphical install
-) Go up to the "Activate" DASD section where you activate the root file
system with /etc
-) cat /proc/dasd/devices - you should now see your root file system as
a device (e.g. /dev/dasda)
-) mount it (e.g. mount /dev/dasda1 /mnt)
-) chroot into it (e.g. chroot /mnt)
-) change the password (e.g. passwd)
-) exit and unmount it (e.g. exit, umount /mnt)
-) Start the real Linux (IPL CMS or IPL Linux boot volume directly)

The root password should now be reset.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061