On Wednesday, 01/28/2009 at 01:12 EST, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:

> Currently we are using LDAP on our z/Linux Red Hat 4.6 which is running
on a
> z/VM 5.3 system to do our authentication.  One of our z/OS folks said
they saw
> somewhere that under z/VM 5.4 that you could no longer use LDAP on
z/Linux to
> authenticate, that it would need to be done at the z/VM level. Is this
true?

I'll confirm what others have told you:   Linux (or anyone else) can use
LDAP server on z/VM to perform authentication, whether z/VM 5.3 or 5.4.

The primary difference in z/VM 5.4 is that it generates and LDAP change
log entry if you change your RACF password *on the VM system*.  And that's
only important if you have a product like IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator
that propagates password changes to your other ids on other platforms.