I really prefer unique volsers.  One IPL with an errorneous volume
coming online in a given VM system may destroy important minidisks,
and yield to a corrupted SFS or DB2 for example.
And, if the volsers are unique, one can -with precautions- access the
minidisks of one VM using another VM system.  For example to repair a
broken SYSTEM CONFIG.  All you need to know is the place of the source
directory of the target system and use DEFINE MDISK.
For my former customer we used this a lot, not to repair broken
things, but to copy DB2 databases from one VM system to another, in
these cases we used DIRENT to read the MDISK definition from the
object directory, so we were absolutely sure to have the latest
directory information.
For occasional use, we had two execs, one of which requires you have
access to the source directory.  With things in place, R/O access to a
minidisk of another VM system was as easy as a LINK & ACCESS command.

As response to Thomas' question: yes, DIRECTXA verifies the disk label
before attempting to write the object directory.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support