From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Florian Bilek
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 1:08 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Using VTOD

Dear all,

Due to historical reasons we run our host systems on local time
(CET/CETS = EAST +1h/+2h). Well, all the years this served well but due
to some services that require UTC we have to change now to UTC. In a
first stage we would like to run only those services necessary with UTC.

In order to carefully test our applications we are using z/VM and the
VTOD  feature were we can simulate the test systems (z/OS and z/LINUX)
the switch of the hardware clock to UTC. This works but for the
operating staff it is quite a nightmare.

What I mean is that we have to define a Reference time that is exactly 1
hour from the system time. There we face following issues:

1.)   The SET VTOD command does not accept parameters such as current
time -1h. This is quite problematic since we will always have a small
difference from the hardware clock depending how exactly the operator
entering the time and hits enter.

2.)   To use this time for the MSGPROCs and GUESTmachines we defined a
User called GMTETR that is nothing doing except setting the time and run
as time source. Unfortunately, since the SET VTOD makes a system reset,
this user drops after the command to CP READ and after some time it
seems to be logged off from the system. This is quite annoying. We tried
CONCEAL option in order to REIPL the GMTETR machine but nothing is
happening.

I would like to ask two questions:

How can we set a time difference of exactly one/two hours from the
hardware clock?

What can be done that the GMTETR is not forced from the system?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

Florian