I have a few OSA questions please:

/* OOPS! I almost pressed SEND w/o a picture! */
/* Please use monospace, or cut/paste into notepad or equivalent */

==============lan 10.0.0.0/16 ==================
       OLD                              NEW
================ lan 10.0.0.0/16 ================
        |                                |
        | OSA PriROUTER                  | OSA NonROUTER
        |                                |
+----------------+               +----------------+
| VM 10.0.0.7/16 |               |    VSWitch     |
|    10.1.5.2/24 |               +----------------+
+----------------+                   |        |
        |                +----------------+   |
        | vCTC           | VM 10.0.0.7/16 |   |
        |                +----------------+   |
+----------------+                            |
| VSE 10.1.4.2/24|                     +----------------+
+----------------+                     |VSE 10.0.7.14/16|
                                       |    10.1.4.2/24 |
                                       +----------------+

1) If an OSA is defined as non-routing, is it true
that it will simply ignore all packets not directed to
one of the HOME addresses of one of the stacks
connected to that OSA?  (And therefore all traffic
on the network not aimed at one of those addresses
will not be seen by the stacks using the OSA)?

2) And, OTOH, will a non-routing OSA pass through traffic
aimed at an IP address which IS one of the HOME
addresses of a stack connected to the OSA,
even if that address is NOT an address on the OSA itself,
but on some other defined interface?

3) and do the above rules apply equally to IP VSWITCH
connections?

The background for these questions is that we (I) want
to remove our old system of "guest lan" system that
connected our various VSE machines by VCTC to
CMS TCPIP, and replace it with direct connections
to the LAN via VSWITCH.

So, question 1 relates to driving VSE crazy with
all of the additional network traffic. (BTW, I was told
that they have gazillions of "broadcasts" - what will
that do to us?)

Question 2 is important because we don't use DNS,
(don't ask me why! I have no idea!) and the old IP numbers
of the VSE must continue to be recognized. That means I
will have to get the network diety to route 10.1.4.2/24
(the old address of a VSE) to its new address on the VSWITCH
and on the main 10.0/16 lan of 10.0.7.14

Thank you very much,
Shimon

Shimon Lebowitz                mailto:shim...@iname.com
VM System Programmer           .
Israel Police National HQ.
Jerusalem, Israel              phone: +972 2 542-9877  fax: 542-9308