On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Schuh, Richard <rsc...@visa.com> wrote:

> That may not be a good thing. The most frequent advice I have heard/seen in
> that area is to do all MDC to main and only use XSTORE for paging.

It is correct that you should not define XSTORE to be used for MDC. It
does not make sense.

However, if you currently have a lot of XSTORE defined and your memory
requirements are so low that you don't page at all, then there is
(since z/VM 5.2) nothing against using that unused XSTORE for MDC if
it otherwise would be wasted. Since your storage requirements are low,
there is little need to schedule an LPAR config change to convert it
to main memory. If you do a change, then it would probably be to give
some of your main memory to another LPAR that needs it.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software