John Franciscovich wrote:
If you are using the same spool volumes and they are defined in the same
CP_OWNED slots, and you are using the same checkpoint and warmstart
areas, then  you should be able to shut down your old system and IPL the
new one with a warm start and have all of your spool files restored.

Of course, it's always a good idea to back them up before shutting down
"just in case".

Backups ? Blah ! backups are for the weak ! real sysprogs now by heart the exact contents of all their CP Owned volumes and can reconstruct them from memory using a 3880 MD device to reconstruct the 3380 volumes from scratch..

Now, more seriously..

Performing a DDR on a live system (or at least its CP owned vols) and IPLing on a restore of those is going to ask for a CKPT or FORCE start.. and those spool files that were opened during the DDR process may contain a bit of funny data ! So maybe SPXTAPE followed by a restore, a cold start and a SPXTAPE LOAD would be a slightly better idea ! (Since I believe the problem wasn't the actual migration - but a rollback option).

Then again, even for a migration.. keeping a SPXTAPE reel may always be helpful.. just in case something goes awry.. (Sorry.. I'm from the SP and XA days when thing would sometimes indeed go awry !).

--Ivan