XLINK makes it possible to protect multiple minidisks on a shared
pack.  XLINK checks cylinder ranges.
You can test this
- on VMA, use LINK userid vdev 1 M
- on VMB try LINK userid vdev 1 M
  and this should fail, CP should tell "userid vdev not linked, R/W by VMA"
Note that there are no commands to dynamically the XLINK definitions
as those found in SYSTEM CONFIG, and IPL is required.

You don't need to define the volumes as shared, but BEWARE:
-  The problem is MDC: when MDC is active for a volume, CP may find
request data in storage
   and may no go to the disk fo satisfy an I/O.  Hence is an update
took place in VMA
   a request from VMB may read backlevel data
- Turn MDC OFF for the shared volumes and you are safe
  (the default for disks definedd as SHARED)
- or, if you know 100% sure that only one system is writing to it
  - leave MDC ON for the volumes on the writing system
  - turn MDC OFF for the volumes on all reading systems
  (my former customer has been working like this for years)

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support