On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> I appreciate the sentiments.  We are not particularly happy about
getting
> rid of them, but their time had come.  In order to keep it to "one
page",
> the page was going to have to grow to a non-standard piece of paper
> because the font was too small, both from an IBM printing standards
> perspective and based on complaints from sysprogs.  Non-standard = more
> costly to produce.

I would like to add my voice to the many asking for the quick guides to be
retained.

I have installed the last 3 levels of z/VM using the quick guides. After
installing z/VM 5.3 from tape (our 'traditional' method) I then did it
again from DVD for the first time. z/VM 5.4 I did only using DVD (twice -
once for ESP & once for GA).  The most difficult bit is deciding which of
the options is right for you and I do agree that there was a bit of
intuition needed - but I completed the first DVD install within half a day
of first seeing the guide, (so it can't have been that bad).

I think we are in danger of somewhat missing the point of the quick guide.
I never considered it to be full and comprehensive instructions for
someone who has never done an install before. The manual does that job
very well. It is more of a quick aide memoir for those who need prompts
and checklists. After all, pilots know how to fly but they still use
checklists to ensure they don't forget something - that doesn't mean we
would expect someone to learn to fly from the checklist.

Colin Allinson

Amadeus Data Processing GmbH