Hi Berry,
It is really working very well.  Linux on system Z and z/VM was new to
both the mainframe group and the 'dark side' so we are learning
together.  We have the Velocity products and we had Barton come to our
shop to teach a performance class on Linux and VM and both sides
attended.  It was very helpful especially for the dark side guys as
virtualization is new to them.  We are a small shop and we work well
together so if I see something that might be a problem I can go over to
the 'dark side' and talk about it.
It can be a problem if everyone is not on the same page.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks,
Nick

On
> Behalf Of Berry van Sleeuwen
> Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:16 PM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: Re: Support of z/VM and zLinux environments
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> And how is that working for you? At our shop we also provide the guest
> and the 'dark side' does the install and support for the guests. But
> they reguraly tend to work just like in the PC world. Meaning, ask for
> lots of memory (cache a lot, minimize IO, never swap) and install
> resource consuming apps (cron every minute or an app that has an
> keep-alive every milisecond).
>
> Our new SLES10 is installed by us and we keep track of every package
not
> required by an application. I try to also get the daily support in our
> group so that we can realy make a difference.
>
> Regards, Berry.
>
> Harris, Nick J. schreef:
> >
> > At our shop the mainframe tech support group supports z/VM on a z9
BC
> > with two IFLs. We have two LPARs one production and one
> > test/development. Linux is supported by our distributed group we
call
> > them the 'Dark Side'.
> >
> > I create the guests and the 'Dark Side' installs Linux and
Websphere.