On Wednesday, 04/01/2009 at 05:33 EDT, "Gary M. Dennis"
<gary.den...@mantissa.com> wrote:
> Is there a VM I/O management system available which will:
>
> 1. Support space allocation requests for guests on a sparse basis? The
file
> server needs to make the guest believe it actually has the entire
allocation
> while only tying up space in the pool the guest actually used.

This is a function of the disk storage controller.  IBM Flashcopy SE
(Space Efficient) enables overcommittment (and, hence, UNDERprovisioning!)
of storage.

> 2. Support Async I/O requests from multiple guests?

That is SSCH or DIAGNOSE 0x250.

> 3. Dynamically scale and from sub- TB to n EB.

Storage controllers can be provisioned with a wide range of backing store.
 If a guest needs more disk space, give it another minidisk.

It is up to the guest to aggregate multiple minidisks into a single data
repository.  (A la LVM in Linux.)  z/VM does not have multiple-extent
minidisks.