You don't exactly tell what you deleted to get rid of the overlaps.
Probably you deleted DIRMAINT's 123 minidisk.  If you carefully look
at a CP directory, the first statement is something like:
DIRECTORY 123 3390 ZV54RS
This tells the DIRECTXA command where to write the object directory.
Above thus:
- write to virtual address 123
- as check: the 123 disk must be labeled ZV54RS
The 123 can be anything you like, as long as it is a virtual address
pointing to the disk where you want the object directory to be
written.

Fixing your problem means updating the CP directory, but DIRMAINT can
no longer do that.  Catch22?
- If you still have a minidisk is a fullpack overlay on the disk with
  the object directory (probably the resident 540RES).
  Make DIRMAINT LINK to it.
  A good candidate is MAINT 123 (but you may have deleted that too)
  -If you don't have an ESM, that minidisk must have a mult pass, but
   the default zVM directory contains no password for MAINT 123!
    DIRM CP LINK MAINT 123 123 MW multpswd
  -With an ESM, give DIRMAINT link permission
    DIRM CP LINK MAINT 123 123 MW
  Now DIRMAINT can update the directory (as long as you don't log it
  off) so add DIRMAINT's 123 again
   DIRM EXTNCHK OFF
   DIRM FOR DIRMAINT AMDISK 123 3390 0 3339 540RES MW
   DIRM EXTNCHK ON
- If you can't execute the above (no fullpack definition remains, or
  no ESM and none with a mult password), use the following.
  1. From a user authorized in DIRMAINT (eg MAINT)
      DIRM USER BACKUP
      DIRM SEND USER BACKUP
     Now you have USER BACKUP in your reader;
       RECEIVE it
      XEDIT it and insert "MDISK 123 ...." in user DIRMAINT
  2. Find a user that
     A. has the CP class to update the directory (classes A, B or C),
     B. and that has a fullpack overlay
     C. or that can use DEFINE MDISK
        (i.e. it has CP class A and OPTION DEVMAINT, or is OPERATOR)
     By default MAINT is OK for A. and B., but not for C.
     If MAINT is has a 123 overlay issue DIRECTXA USER BACKUP
     else, probably OPERATOR is OK,
      - SENDFILE the changed USER BACKUP to it
      - logon to it and execute:
        DEFINE MDISK 123 0 END 540RES
        Receive the USER BACKUP file
        DIRECTXA USER BACKUP
   Then restart DIRMAINT and give it a 123 again:
    DIRM EXTNCHK OFF
    DIRM FOR DIRMAINT AMDISK 123 3390 0 3339 540RES MW
    DIRM EXTNCHK ON

As to avoid the overlaps.  You have to tell DIRMAINT to exclude some
minidisks (using EXTENT CONTROL).
DIRMAINT also automatically makes some pseudo minidisks to protect
some CP areas, like .DCRT. and .TDISK. If you have the corresponding
$DIRECT$, $TDISK$ and friends, this creates an overlap too.
I do **not** recommend to remove the $xxx$ users (on the contrary: be
sure to maintain them), but to avoid the overlap reporting via EXTENT
CONTROL.  Entering the .xxxx. users in EXTENT CONTROL seems not to
work, so you must enter the $xxxx$ entries.  This is an extract of my
EXTENT CONTROL.
:EXCLUDE.
* USERID ADDRESS
MAINT 0123    * EXCLUDE FULL PACK
MAINT 0124    * EXCLUDE FULL PACK
MAINT 0125    * EXCLUDE FULL PACK
MAINT 0126    * EXCLUDE FULL PACK
MAINT 0127    * EXCLUDE FULL PACK
*** Added by Kris Buelens
* Note: adding the .xxxx. users that DIRMAINT automatically creates to
*       protect CP areas doesn't help.  So we exclude $xxxx$ users
* .DRCT.   *    * Created by DIRMAINT
$DIRECT$ *        * Dirmaint uses .DRCT. userid
$TDISK$  *        * Dirmaint uses .TDISK. userid

At last: in stead of using DIRM DIRMAP, use the CMS DIRMAP command.  Why?
DIRM DIRMAP still signal overlaps for items you asked to exclude.  The
CMS DIRMAP command will not report them (it has no .xxxx. pseudo
minidisks), and it excludes fullpack overlays automatically.
With the CMS DIRMAP command you can (and probably should) make an
EXCLUDE VOLSERS file to exlude the $$$$$$ volser that DIRMAINT (and
DFSMS) use to park work minidisks on and that probably are in overlap
with each other.
My DRM package makes this easier.
- issue DRMAC to look at Ditmaint's last USER BACKUP
- press PF16 to have the MDISKMAP rebuilt (if required) and XEDITed
- To ask DIRMAINT for a fresh USER BACKUP and a new MDISKMAP
   type "DIRM" in XEDIT's cmd area and press PF4

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support