This pipe read accounting records, so every 30 seconds even with
nothing to do was fine.  A longer interval would probably be fine
also, but 30 seconds was pretty good when I was testing.  The machine
also responded to shutdown signals (thanks to shuttrap) so the chance
of losing any records was pretty small, and that was good enough.
I'll keep your idea in mind, though, for the future.

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support