I had trouble manipulating Julian dates for a product wrapper I wrote;
finally wrote something like this, that you can modify to get the answer
you're looking for:

/*

 *      J2N EXEC

 *

 *      Display a Julian date in Normal format; this is really pretty

 *      easy, but it's become such a common need that I wrote a routine

 *

 *      It was SO easy, I've updated it to handle forms like yyyynnn and

 *      yyyy.nnn and others that happen to fit. The translate() call

 *      changes single quotes, slashes and decimal points to blanks, and

 *      the space() call removes all blanks from in and around the
string.

 *      Then take only the last 5 characters, prepending zeros if
needed.

 */

        arg JDate .;

        JDate = space(translate(JDate,,"'/."), 0);

        JDate = right(JDate, 5, "0");

        say date("W", JDate, "J")"," date(, JDate, "J");

and then:

j2n E08143

returns:

Thursday, 22 May 2008