If the radar signal was strong enough to wipe the core, I wonder what it did to
the synapses of the person posted to guard the door. In the early '80s, the
state of Missouri bought a fleet of new patrol cars for the highway patrol.
After a few days, many of the officers started complaining about headaches,
Upon investigation, it was determined that all of the officers who had reported
the headaches had been using their radar units extensively. After more
investigation, the problem was solved by moving the radar units so that they
did not point directly at the back of the driver's head.

I wonder if all of these systems that used paper tape were programmed so that
they could properly read the tapes no matter what the orientation - frontwards
or backwards, right side up or wrong side up. Some of the early readers could
read the tape regardless of the orientation; however, the data would look very
odd if the orientation were wrong. It is scary to think what would happen to an
ICBM's targeting if the tape was not fed in correctly. I hope there was
something done to prevent that type of problem.

Regards,
Richard Schuh