Another paper tape story, actually more like a tale... When the motor burned
out on a paper tape reader in a third-story lab, they just moved the reader
near an open window, attached a weight to the paper tape loaded in the reade r,
 and dropped the weight out the window. The tape shot out the window and
was read without a problem. Is this possible?

A 1401 story, also perhaps a tale... This was told about an actual 1401. Every
so often the core (yes, real core) memory would be inexplicably wiped.
It couldn't be traced to a particular running program. The CEs duly examined
everything, did whatever diagnostics they did on 1401s, but came up with the
nothing. The problem continued occurring unpredictably and irreproducibly
until one afternoon a CE was in sixth-floor machine room looking in an
open door of the 1401 when he witnessed it happen. He happened to look over his
shoulder, out one of the floor-to-ceiling windows surrounding two sides of the
data center, and spied a girder attached to a large electromagnet skimming past
the window being pulled up by a construction crane from the building being
built next door. It turned out that was the culprit. Is this possible? (I once
heard that the way to protect a magnetic tape from being  accidentally wiped by
a magnet was to pack it surrounded by a foot of packing material.)

A tape drive story, thrown in for free... A photographer had been brought into
the insurance company's large data center to take pictures of it to show off
it in the company's house organ (does anyone besides me use that term
anymore?). He attached his large flash unit to his camera and took what he
assumed would a series  of photos. When his flash fired that first time every
running tape drive in its direction sensed end of tape and rewound. When the
operators realized what had happened, he was swiftly led out of the data
center. No photographer was ever allowed in again.

Fred Ballard

Ex-1401, 1410, 360, and 370 programmer