On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Robert J McCarthy wrote:

I am trying to develop a shutdown procedure to cleanly shutdown my linux guests, prior to shutting down vm. Reading the documentation in the virtualization cookbook for SLES10 and the vm CP COMMANDS manual; I have setup the following : 1. In each linux guest's /etc/inittab; I have changed the shutdown - r to shutdown -h
2. In my autolog1 exec I have placed the following command:
CP SET SIGNAL SHUTDOWN 1200 ( To allow the guests 20 minutes to respond)
   Note: I have also entered the command manually
When I issue the shutdown, vm shuts down before most if not all linux guests have responded or completed shutdown; always within a minute or two. As a result I end up with file corruption in some linux guests after vm is re-IPLed and the guests are brought back up.
  Is there a better way to accomplish a clean linux shutdown.
                                           Thank you,
                                           Bob

Our SYSVINIT drop-in-replacement for a list-of-machines-in-autolog would do the trick. It may be overkill.

Adam