I copy xxxRES all of the time .. The only problem I have ever seen is
that you cannon do a warm start of the new volume..

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Adam Thornton
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:28 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: HCPDDR704E error attempting to copy res volume

On Jun 4, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Edward M Martin wrote:

        Typically Maint has 540RES as 123 MR.

I should not answer questions before coffee.

Yeah, there already *IS* a covering minidisk, isn't there?

Question: is it actually safe to DDR the RES volume from a live system
to another system?  I always *thought* that was one of those things that
you usually got away with but weren't supposed to do, but I will admit
to perhaps being conditioned by growing up in the Unix world, where
doing that kinda stuff with mounted filesystems is a Bad Idea.  It would
be very nice to know if it is in fact not risky; it will save me the
time of going back after I've done all the user volumes, shutting down
the system, and using standalone DDR on the RES volumes.

Adam