On Wednesday, 06/17/2009 at 01:07 EDT, John Zarzeck
<john.zarz...@barclays.com> wrote:
> I am a complete newbie to TCP/Ip on z/VM - I'm a z/OS-er. We have
brought
> up the TCPIP stack on z/Vm 5.4, and I can logon both unsecure and secure
> (with SSLSERV). I cannot find out how to set up customised 'USSTABLES'
for
> the TN3270 clients - how do you change the z/vm logo, use 'system
> symbolics' in the table, etc? I am looking at this from a z/os
viewpoint.

Don't. You will get a headache.  :-)  Logos come from CP and sit on the
PARM disk (e.g. MAINT CF1).  Look in the CP Planning and Administration
book (Chapter 7) for information on setting up a logo.  CP can give a
different logo to TELNET users than it gives to local non-SNA (OSA-ICC,
2074, 3174, HMC, ...) users if you want.

Unlike VTAM USSMSG10, there are no "system symbolics" in the logos.

Note also the reference to the CP REFRESH LOGO command.

> Could I have different 'USSMSG10' for different ports?

Users coming in from different networks can be given different logos ONLY
IF they are telnetting to a separate TCPIP stack (e.g. TCPIP2) since CP
has no awareness of IP address when it comes to logo selection.

[Hmmm....that would make for an interesting Requirement.]

> I have looked for
> the TCP/IP redbooks for z/vm 5.4 in vain.

You have something far better: People.  The entire z/VM Family is here to
help.