Before I put something huge together to test this, I thought I¹d pass it by
all the experts.

Linux has the ability to multipath, and z/VM supports multipathing via PAV.
There¹s lots of documentation and studies showing that you can attach /
dedicate the PAV addresses to a Linux LPAR or guest, and implement
multipathing to DASD devices. This seems to be fairly clearly researched and
understood.

What I¹m wondering about would be multiple links to the same minidisk
(partial 3390, as opposed to a full volume) backed by a PAV multi-address
environment sustained by z/VM. Would it help I/O throughput to have multiple
MW minidisks set up in Linux as multipathing, if they were on a DASD with
PAV enabled, and having several physical addresses? Are there any got¹chas
to this configuration? Any reason why it wouldn¹t work?

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\