Your response verifies what I¹d thought was happening, but doesn¹t address
the whole ³multiple writable minidisk² quandary.

I¹m considering something like the following:

USER LINUXGUEST
MDISK 391 3390 1500 500 VOL001 MW
LINK * 391 1391 MW
LINK * 391 2391 MW

Which would give me three virtual devices all pointing to the same minidisk
within the Linux guest.

First big question: Have I shot myself in the foot? Common z/VM wisdom says
that multiple write enabled links to the same minidisk lead down a slippery
slope to disaster. But would that be the case here?

Second big question: Would PAV see the various I/O requests and assign them
to separate PAV aliases, allowing for better thorughput to the device? I¹m
thinking that, if I can get past the first question, then the second would
be ³yes².

One thing you didn¹t mention in your response is that, hopefully, many of
the requests can be satisfied from cache, either via MDC or control unit
caching, avoiding the actual I/O. The thing that PAV and the multiple
minidisks would give you is the ability to get those I/Os started sooner
than with a single path in Linux.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\