Alan,

That was my mistake, I had brought up an old 2.3 system to pull
information from and inadvertently used it's TCP/IP stack (that wasn't
up).  (I'm on z/VM 5.4.)

Okay, I've changed NSINTERADDR to point to our internal DNS (actually
DC's).
; NSINTERADDR  127.0.0.1
NSINTERADDR 10.1.2.50
NSINTERADDR 10.1.2.4

I still can't get it to resolve host names.  The ping, with a
host/domain name seems to take an inordinate amount of time before
failing:

time ping ibm.com
DTCPIN0014E Unknown host IBM.COM
Elapsed time is 2.01 Minutes.
Ready(00100); T=0.03/0.04 07:53:15

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer                   MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co.   Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr.                Fax:   (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas  76710