I have a site like you describe:
 2 z/VM LPARs sharing all the IFLs, also sharing channels to dasd, tape, etc.
One LPAR for test/development Linux guests, the second for production linux
guests.
The PRSM overhead seems negligible, 0.5-0.6%.
The memory for linux guests dwarfs the memory needed to run z/VM OS, 64M or
whatever the manual says now for z/VM.
We give the production LPAR a higher partition weight than test/dev LPAR and
more central and expanded storage than the test/dev LPAR.

We find the extra work/complexity of maintaining 2 z/VM LPARs is outweighed by
the benefits of isolating the workloads and being able to schedule outages on
each LPAR independently of each other.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.